Wednesday 28 March 2012

Yarn Along 03

Today, I'm joining in with



again.

As you can see, there's quite a lot on my various needles this week...


The Boy, who is at home from school today with a poorly tummy, helped arrange everything that I've been working on this week - and, for reasons probably best known only to him, decided that there needed to be a toy frog and one of his favourite ("prettiest, Mummy; *prettiest*!") marbles in the midst of the projects. So. What *are* these projects eventually going to be? Hm...

First up, there's the pinafore dress I'm *still* knitting for Tilly. This is the back, and it has little eyelets at the bottom which you can't actually see in this image due to the fact that the knitting persists in curling (which drives me demented!). Because it's acrylic yarn, I won't be able to block it (... will I?!) but I'm planning on threading some thin ribbon through the eyelets to accentuate them and, hopefully, add enough weight to the bottom of the dress to hold it down. When it's done, of course. And before that can happen I not only need to finish knitting the back... but knit the front, too!


For the next couple of days, though, Tilly's items of attire have had to go on a back burner due to the fact that it's apparently going to be Easter fairly soon - and The Boy and The Girl have requested that I knit some egg warmers that they might give to their younger step-siblings and cousins along with those which I always knit for them and my various assorted Godchildren... whether they want them, or not! 


Above, you can see two of the warmers (the one on the egg-cup is blue with stripes of a very delicate green - it looks beautiful in reality and I'm very tempted to keep this one for myself...), a rabbit head and two ears. I have a whole warren of these to pull together before Easter Sunday, but they knit up ridiculously quickly so I'm hoping it won't take *too* long...

However.

Along with the egg warmers there is an even more important project on my needles...


You can't tell from looking at it, just *how* important this little project actually is to myself and The Boy, so I'll tell you. It's a Very, Very, *Very* Important Project Indeed. How so? What is it? Well, it's a daffodil and the beginnings of an Easter Bunny (The Boy insisted it had to be lilac for... well, again, reasons probably best known only to him!) which, when they are completed will form the main decoration on his Easter Bonnet for the annual parade his school does. Which takes place tomorrow. Yep. Lots of snuggling on the couch with him whilst I speedily knit this afternoon, I think... which is never a bad thing. One day soon, he'll be too "old", too "cool" to snuggle with his aging Ma (we're already at the "don't *kiss* me 'goodbye' when my friends are looking!!!" stage, I'm afraid... although he still holds my hand - then again, so does The Girl, and she's almost 16, so perhaps there's hope yet!). Even if he doesn't make a quick recovery in time for the Parade, the Bonnet will still be made. Why? It's tradition.

And we're strangely big on tradition in this cluttered home of ours...

Because The Boy asked me ever so nicely, I'm going to tell you about the book which *he's* been reading this week: The Children Of Green Knowe by Lucy M. Boston. It's a perennial favourite of mine, I have to confess, as I remember reading it when I was much the same age as The Boy is now... and it's a book that not only is he reading by/to himself, but also insisting that I read him a little bit each night at bedtime before lights out. He says that he likes the fact that the main character is the same age as him, that he likes the fact that the ghosts of the children aren't too scary, and he claims to love the fact that it's about history - although I'm not entirely certain he understands which bit of history the children and Tolly individually come from... *I* like the fact that he's fallen under the same Green Knowe spell as I did when I was a child, and that I get to relive the story through his eyes now.

It makes it more magical, somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment