Sunday 7 October 2012

Crafty Stuff Over The Summer...

As mentioned in my last post, a lot happened over the Summer... especially craft wise. The following is a snapshot of things which I've made over the last two months:

A gift for the son of a friend of mine's 11th birthday...

  
(I've known Adam, the lad for whom this wall-hanging was made, for the last 6 years. He's a brilliant, intelligent, polite young man whose world was turned upside down in the first week of September when, three days after starting his Secondary school, he was the victim of a hit-and-run outside of it. Broken bones, a fractured skull, an incredibly terrified/worried family and close friends later... he's thankfully healing. He has his good days, he has his bad days - as would anyone if they were to endure such a horrific accident as this. But he *survived* and for that, I am incredibly grateful (as I know his mum is!). It was a scary time for those of us not intimately involved with the situation, so I don't even want to *start* to imagine what it was like for his mum and dad... All I hope is that this doesn't effect him for the rest of his life, be it emotionally or physically.)


There was also hand dying of some items - teddy bear tee-shirts, purses and pencil cases. The turquoise was the only colour I remembered to take photos of, bizarrely enough - but there was also orange and green. One tee-shirt, two purses and two pencil cases of each colour.

I think they turned out pretty well, considering it was the first time I'd used the dye on anything other than yarn...

And this?



Was one of the purses whilst complete... made to The Boy's specifications. To be perfectly honest, I've yet to finish the other purses/pencil cases/tee-shirts... but they'll be done before Christmas, because I have my first Craft Fair coming up fairly soon and I'd like them done before then just to judge their saleability, y'know?

What else...
I made some "Binky Boos" from Ginger Melon's pattern for one of my oldest friend's three children upon the birth of the youngest child...



I made a Japanese inspired doll (under The Boy's supervision as he'd asked me to make it) for the daughter of another close friend, and one of The Boy's little "girlfriend"s 7th birthday. This was also, partly, as Ginger Melon design... but the clothes are not included in the pattern. I blame The Boy for them.

The nice thing, though? I bumped into my friend and Lil'Miss K (to whom this doll went) a month or so later in the local supermarket... and Lil'Miss K was carrying this doll with her!!! Apparently she loves her to bits - and I was relieved to see that my sewing actually stood up to the test of constant child attention!!!



There was then the sewing of a Wolverine mask for The Boy's Halloween costume (if he decides to stick with the one idea this year, that is...). Both he and The Girl are huge Marvel and DC Comics fans, so when this mask came off the sewing machine, there was a little fight as to who got to wear it first. The Girl, being 8 years older, won - of course - but only because The Boy knew it was for him...

And then there was the contest I entered...  the post concerning which can be found here

I had such fun working on that doll, which is literally the largest I've ever made, and now am being nagged by The Boy to make Stan Laurel to go with him... which, of course, I will undoubtedly do because Hardy without Laurel is like cheese without wine, or fish without chips, or salt without vinegar... ;)

So, there we have it. A snapshot of just a fraction of the things I made over the summer. Right now I'm working on a baby doll for a Halloween commission (due in two days time!), so I guess I'd best get on with it...






No comments:

Post a Comment